In Vietnam, tipping for good service is not expected but is always appreciated. It is customary, though not compulsory, to tip tour guides and drivers at the end of a tour. Hotel and station porters should also be tipped, especially if the service exceeds expectations.
If you consider tipping tour guides, drivers, hotel staff, boat crews, waiters or waitresses, and cyclo drivers here are a few tips that will help you along you way:
- There is no standard amount or percentage for tipping;
- People rarely tip at street-food stands;
- If you want to tip the hotel staff, ask if there is a community tip box;
- If someone ever politely declines your tip, thank them, take back your tip, and please do not overly press the issue (this is normal Vietnamese culture);
- A fair tip for tour guides and drivers on a one-day tour is about 100,000 VND and 300,000 VND respectively, but it is completely up to you;
- For or multi-day tours you might tip more depending on how long the trip was, the quality of your guide, etc.
Book your tour now with VietMate as you deserve such top-notch quality!
Or let us know your expectations and we will design for you the best itinerary ever.